Tuesday, November 12, 2013

NAILED IT

When I was single, I made it a regular thing to get my nails done. That was back when I spent my money on whatever I wanted and no one could see my spending report. That all changed when I joined someone else's account (or we can call it "got married") and I didn't want him seeing how much I was spending on my looks, because let's be real, getting our nails did at the salon is freakin' expensive. amiright or amiright?

So I just stopped going all together. and focused on our needs rather than my wants. Whatever.

What my husband doesn't know is that he married a woman who NEEDS her nails done. When they're naked, I feel naked, and he should be very concerned if his wife feels naked all the time. I convinced him that the only cure is to get an at-home gel manicure kit. He brought up writing a letter to Santa, but 1) no one has time for that and 2) he must not care about me if he wants me to walk around without any nail polish on for the holidays. Men, they don't understand anything. Anyway, I eventually brought up the fact that this will SAVE us money in the long run.


It says right there on the box, "10 complete manicures". How much does one gel manicure cost at the salon? $40 to $45. This Sensationail kit was $60 at Walgreens, which means we're saving hundreds of dollars in the long run. I mean, it's basically screaming "BUY ME!!!!" so I did and poured a glass of wine to celebrate (as seen above).

Ok, let's get down to business here. In this kit, you get everything they use at the salon.


It also comes with instructions that you'll need to follow very carefully. I won't go through the steps because it's easy and there's only like 7 of them and you just repeat it for all of your nails. The final product looked something like this...

Sunday
yes, I got a little messy on my cuticles but I know it will take some practice to make it perfect. I also got some polish on the skin around the nail, but that came off when I washed my hands afterwards. 

Tuesday
My advice, in the instructions it says to put your nails under the LED lamp for one minute after applying the color. I wasn't comfortable with that so I left my nails in there for two minutes, and one minute for the base and top coat. That seemed to work perfectly and my nails were fully dry just like they are at the salon. Two days after painting my nails and I'm happy to report that they look amazing. No chips! and I haven't had to mess with them at all. I even got a compliment today on them from a woman asking, "where did you get your nails done?"

NAILED IT.

14 comments:

  1. ON WEDNESDAYS WE WEAR PINK.. but really they look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that polish color! I have been contemplating getting one of the at-home kits, I think after reading this it may be on my Christmas list!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your nails do look great! I especially love how you justified it - sounds like something I would say to my husband :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wait, this looks amazing. i want to get this! whenever i regular-paint my nails, i end up picking at the polish within two days, but if I get my nails done I leave it alone. maybe this would help! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok ok, so I really really love my at home gel too... but then I got really sad because I gave the dogs a bath and they pretty much all instantly peeled off. Have you done dishes yet? Have you given any baths (to Nate, obviously.) yet? I need a report on days 3, 4, and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is awesome. they look really really good. i never get my nails done because of my cheapness. i am putting this on my christmas list

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your nails look amazing! I used to love gel polish but I change my color so often it just wasn't worth it. This definitely seems like a great investment tho!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think they look great! I have one of these bad boys, too... although it's the Sally Hansen one. Tips for you... the stuff that they give you to remove the tackiness, is rubbing alcohol... so don't go spending an arm and a leg on their fancy brand name stuff. Annnnd... the gel remover is just acetone. Again, don't spend a ton! Thin coats always works best... I've tried thick and it peels off like wall-paper. I use a teeny tiny makeup brush to get polish off my cuticles BEFORE I cure them and it's much easier. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty! :)
    Talk about the perfecto Christmas gift!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never get my nails done because they always get wrecked in 2-3 days. Love to know how long they last.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute! And yes, marriage kind of ruins all that fun "me money" stuff! Deployments are kind of nice when you can play the "but I miss you" card every once in a while. Also, you can totally justify it with the saving money by only feeding one person thing too. Clearly I've done this a time or two...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just got engaged, so I'm going through that whole "joint spending" transition now too. In my opinion, it's for the birds ;) Haha, enjoy your week! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I may have to invest in this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete